Hatha yoga is the branch of yoga that is the most practised in the West. The practise involves breath, body, and mind, and classes include breathing, yoga poses, and meditation.
Hatha yoga is considered as a gentle practice. Although, sometimes, the pace can be more dynamic or more challenging. The beauty of this practice is that you can adapt the intensity upon your ability on the day of the class.
The yoga Hatha teacher will offer you the space to observe and pay attention to your body, breath, and mind so that you can adapt your practice around your findings.
During a Hatha class, you will start by warming up and opening up the body with asanas (poses) and sun salutations, followed by some breathwork to energise and calm the nervous system (pranayama) and you finish with seated or lying down meditation to connect with your true self.
Hatha classes provide an opportunity to stretch, unwind, and release tension, providing an excellent counterpoint to both busy lifestyles and cardio workouts. But also, it helps to support your health and wellbeing.
The benefits of Hatha yoga:
- Relieves stress and anxiety.
- Yoga has a positive impact on emotional and mental health.
- Support when suffering from depression and PTSD.
- Develop flexibility and mobility.
- Support rehabilitation after injury, operation or accident.
- Support body functions: cardiovascular, respiratory, lymphatic, endocrine, nervous systems.
- Support mentally and physically the healing during illnesses: cancer, MS, etc.
- Improve lower back pain, neck pain and any joints related conditions.
- Helps during menopause and osteoarthritis.
- Improve sleep and fight insomnia.
- Improve and support a mindful and healthy living standard (eating, sleeping, activities etc.)